NCEDA supports the advancement of outstanding economic development practitioners by annually awarding scholarships for professional development and recognizing the North Carolina Economic Developer of the Year and the North Carolina Emerging Leader of the Year.
- Dan Stewart BEDC Scholarship, which pays $670 for tuition to the one-week Basic Economic Development Course held annually at UNC Chapel Hill. Scholarship recipients are responsible for all travel, lodging and ancillary costs.
- ECU Economic Development Academy Scholarship, which pays $395 for tuition at one course offering of East Carolina University’s North Carolina Certified Economic Developer program. Scholarship recipients are responsible for all travel, lodging and ancillary costs.
- Jack Ervin EDI/IEDC Scholarship, which pays up to $660 per year for three years (a total value of $1,980) toward tuition either at the Economic Development Institute (EDI) at Oklahoma University or three annual courses offered by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC). Scholarship recipients are responsible for all travel, lodging and ancillary costs.
- Governor James E. Holshouser Professional Development Scholarship, which pays up to $1,000 per year for three years (a total value of $3,000) for EDI or IEDC courses.
Applying for Scholarships
The 2021 application period will open in February. Scholarship recipients will be announced at the Spring Conference. Contact Liz (888.246.2332 / email@example.com) with any questions.
NCEDA has four 2020 scholarship recipients:
- Ryan Schultz, Carolinas Gateway Partnership (Dan Stewart Scholarship)
- Trey Goodson, NCEast Alliance (ECU Scholarship)
- Stephen Barrington, Sampson County Economic Development Commissions (Jack Ervin Scholarship)
- Tonny McNeil, Spring Lake Economic Development (Gov. Holshouser Scholarship)
The 2021 Award Nomination Period will open in April. Contact Liz Dobbins-Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Economic Developer of the Year
Each year, NCEDA presents an award to the individual who best exemplifies leadership in the state’s economic development efforts. The North Carolina Economic Developer of the Year award is given in recognition of the winner’s contributions to expansions and projects completed during the previous calendar year.
See our current honoree and list of previous recipients.
Emerging Leader of the Year
This award recognizes an up-and-coming economic development leader who is making outstanding contributions to the North Carolina economic development community.
Legislator of the Year
NCEDA periodically recognizes members of the North Carolina Senate and North Carolina House of Representatives in recognition for their exceptional support for the state’s economic development efforts.
See our most recent honorees.